Jail for Oldham security guard who caused devastating injuries in assault

AN Oldham security guard who carried out a savage attack over a parking dispute has been jailed. Manchester Crown Court heard Abu Omar struck Usama Ali with a baseball bat causing devastating injuries. During an altercation over parking his victim got into the front seat of Umar’s car.

Umar then proceeded to get a baseball bat out of the boot and attacked him during the incident on Byrom Street in Manchester City Centre. Omar, 34, had denied carrying out the offence but was convicted of actual bodily harm and possession of an offensive weapon at a trial. He was acquitted of the more serious charge of grievous bodily harm.

Omar appeared at court to be sentenced for the two matters.

Abu Umar was jailed at Manchester Crown Court Robert Smith, prosecuting, revealed the devastating impact on the victim, who had been left unable to fulfil aspirations as a result. He said he was still having to see a physiotherapist every two weeks, encountered a intermittent burning sensation, had been left with a deformity in his foot and could no longer stand for long periods in his job as a pharmacist.

He also said he found physical activity like running and hiking painful and had withdrawn from friends as a result. As well as this he said he had been unable to do an NHS funded postgraduate course in prescribing. Mr Ali has also been left with around 20 skin site scars around an inch in diameter where he had been struck.

Ronnie Bergenthal, defending, said Omar was horrified at his actions. He said there had been a “degree of provocation” as Mr Ali had entered the car of Omar and the bat was a child’s bat and not a dangerous weapon. He added that he was prepared to pay compensation of GBP2,000 within the next 28 days.

Imposing a sentence, judge Anne Vigars, said: “This has had a profound effect on Mr Ali. “He lives in pain two years after the assault. “I accept this was out of character for you but the remorse you show was not reflected by you entering a guilty plea before the trial.”

She jailed Omar, of Foxglove Avenue in Oldham, for a period of two years and four months.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *